Following in the footsteps of Randi’s million dollar challenge, a British professor by the name of Edzard Ernst has set up a £10,000 challenge to anyone who can prove that homeopathy works. Apparentley, the professor has run some 200 trials and not even one has shown anything resembling evidence. So we know the prize will go unclaimed until the good professor decides to stop the challenge, which he is bound to eventually. Sooner or later people need to move on to other projects.
Apparently homepoaths are not happy about this.
Homeopaths have reacted with anger to his £10,000 challenge, branding it a publicity stunt and they already had “more than enough proof”.
Yes, except that they get angry when someone asks them, and offers them money, for this “proof”. What kind of bullshit is that?
Dr Robert Mathie, of the British Homeopathic Association, said: “What is needed is more investment in homeopathy research, not facile enticements by scientists who should know better.”
Hey, why don’t they take the free 10,000 pounds and invest it in additional research? That’s no chump change I’ll tell you that much. As of today that amount is worth $19,906. That won’t fund any revolutinary research that’s granted, but it can easily take care of some overhead.
Frederiek Maddock, a homeopath from Crediton, said: “Dr Ernst does not appear to have done his research properly and is very selective in what he decides to believe.
“This is not a very professional way to do this. Whether anyone will take up his challenge is a matter for the homeopathic association.”
I will make a prediction. Even homeopaths are not stupid enough to do it, and even if they did and failed miserably (as expected) they and their followers will fall onto some sort of post-hoc argument and turn a blind eye to the results. Faith is always stronger than the evidence which contradicts it.
Yesterday I posted a video at my other blog, Video Skepdude which attracted an angry reply, which in turn made it necessary that I post my own reply. Here is the original angry reply by an offended muslim reader
truefaith, on June 29th, 2008 at 12:19 am Said:
you actually are the most stupid man,,you judge the religion by the people, the peaceful is the religion not the people,,you are such a fucking atheist that dont have any faith(same as animal) or even a religious man that has extreme envious in islam..!!!
To which I replied:
Yes I judge things by the actions of it’s representatives. If you had really read my comments carefully, I said that Islam can indeed become a peaceful religion, but it’s not there yet. Take a look at most countries where Islam meddles with the state. How do those countries fare when it come to human rights? How can a religion whose prophet had sex with a 9 year old be peaceful, if it does not condemn such behavior? I belive Turkey is one of the few countries where Islam has advanced in the right direction.
Don’t forget all religions incite violence. The Bible and the Quran are full of violent passages. As such there is no peaceful religion. The only difference is that some religions advance to a point where they know they must ignore certain passages. Unfortunately Islam is not there yet. It may be quite close if there are people like you who think it is not violent, but it is not there yet.So you are wrong when you say that religion is peaceful and people are violent. People are the only ones who are violente OR peaceful. Religion is a source of violence!
Now instead of being mad at me for calling it as I see it, you should be mad at the people that make your faith look so bad. Those are the ones you should fight, not literally, not me. I am sorry but with all the terrorist acts, the beheadings, the bombings, the genital mutilations, the inhumane treatment of women, there is but one conclusion to be reached. Islam is still a middle age religion. It is violent. It is contrary to any human instinct of justice and fairness.
You are correct when you say that I have no faith. I don’t need it. I believe in myself, the human race. I have no need for Sky Daddy, especially not one that condones the raping of little girls, by grown ass men. Those are the men that should be hanged, if you ask me.
And by the way no person on Earth is envious of, or in, Islam. You betray the limits of your own intelligence when you make such a statement.
I would like to hear from people. What do you think? Is there such thing as a peaceful religion? I would appreciate it if you limit your comments to Islam and Christianity. Thanks.
- Dad kills son to get demons out – 27-year-old grocery store worker who police say punched and kicked his 2-year-old son to death on a country road calmly told motorists who stopped at the scene that he had to “get the demons” out of the boy, two witnesses said Monday. The boy was beaten so savagely that DNA tests will be needed to confirm his identity, Singh said.- I say give him the chair.
- FDA cracks down on quack cancer treatments – The is cracking down on teas, supplements, creams and other products that falsely claim to cure, treat or prevent cancer even though they are not agency-approved drugs. All are available for sale on the Internet. The ingredients of these unproven treatments include bloodroot, , coral calcium, cesium, ellagic acid, and a variety of mushrooms among other products.- Where do you start if you’re the FDA? WHERE DO YOU START?
- Rapture site to send unbeliever’s last chance vie e-mail – YouveBeenLeftBehind.com promises subscribers “one last opportunity to reach your lost family and friends for Christ” by automatically sending them a series of emails and documents if the rapture should occur. For an annual fee of $40 (£20), customers are offered the chance to send these messages to their loved ones to convince them to believe in God. – If rapture were to happen, do these morons think I’ll be in front of my computer checking my e-mail?
- A psychic, teaching assistant and school board walk into a bar – sounds like the beginning of a bad joke right? Well the story goes like this. Teaching assistant goes to psychic. Phsychic says girl whose name starts with “V” is being sexually abused. Teacher assistant sounds the alarm. School and appropriate authorities get involved. Mother gets the scare of her life – All because a second rate charlatan blurted something with no evidence whatsoever. Shame, shame shame!
- Cult mother tortures own sons – Six people in the Czech Republic, including the boy’s mother, face between eight to 12 years in prison for allegedly torturing Ondrej and Jakub, now aged 8 and 10. The defendants were allegedly beating the brothers, locking them up in cages or even cutting them and burning them with cigarettes. It is alleged pieces of their flesh were hacked off to be eaten by their relatives.-Sick, demented fucks
- Praying claims yet another victim – Oregon officials say a teenager from a faith-healing family died from an illness that could have been easily treated, just a few months after a toddler cousin of his died in a case that has led to criminal charges. Oregon law allows minors 14 and older to decide whether to accept medical treatment. Beagley’s family says he refused it. – Oh his sick family says he refused it. I guess we have to believe them, don’t we? Throw their sick, demented asses in jail and let them rot. Stupid, arrogant dickheads!
- Large Hadron Collider no threat to humanity – That black hole that was going to eat the Earth? Forget about it, and keep making the mortgage payments — those of you who still have them. – Oh shit, let me call my banker, I’m in trouble! Wait a minute, I don’t own a house! Well of course it’s not the end of the Earth. Don’t those morons know that’s not going to happen until 2012? Stupid!
- South Carolina’s own “I Believe” plates – A group that advocates separation of church and state filed a federal lawsuit Thursday to prevent South Carolina from becoming the first state to create “I Believe” license plates. The group contends that South Carolina’s government is endorsing Christianity by allowing the plates, which would include a cross superimposed on a stained glass window. – It is important to note that a couple of pastors are the ones behind the lawsuit, not some enraged, immoral atheist. I actually don’t have such a problem with this thing. I do not see it as state endorsing religion, as long as whoever wants the plate pays the full cost of producing it. I think anyone has the right to display their religious belief in their cars.
- Settling a debt with a daughter – An Afghani opium farmer, affected by a recent ban on opium farming, has resorted to handing over his 6 year old daughter as a bride to his creditor’s son, in order to settle his debt. – I don’t want to hear excuses, he’s an ass and deserves to be humiliated in the deepest way possible. I don’t care how poor you are, you are never justified in giving away your child to settle a debt. Never! You steal if you have to, but you don’t touch your kid! Fucking asshole!
- Baby girls deaths increase considerably in India -A report by the UK charity says increasing numbers of female foetuses were being aborted and baby girls deliberately neglected and left to die. In one site in the Punjab state, there are just 300 girls to every 1,000 boys among higher caste families, it says.- Besides the moral issues at stake here, I wonder who are the other 700 boys going to marry, once they grow up? Baffling indeed!
- Religious Americans surprisingly open minded – 70 percent of Americans with a religious affiliation shared that view, and 68 percent said there is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of their own religion. – Hey that’s good news for everybody. You know what they say, the first step is to recognize you’ve got a problem. But I don’t know what the article means by this “The findings, revealed Monday in a survey of 35,000 adults, can either be taken as a positive sign of growing religious tolerance, or disturbing evidence that Americans dismiss or don’t know fundamental teachings of their own faiths.”-Why would that be disturbing? It does not disturb me at all. In fact I know for sure most religious people do not know, or choose not to follow, the teachings of their religion. Also reported at NYTimes.
- Jesus has come back…as a traffic cop! – He is known simply as Vissarion, meaning “he who gives new life,” or simply as the teacher, and he claims that he is Jesus Christ. The Church of the Last Testament has abolished Christmas and replaced it with a new celebration on Vissarion’s birthday. And a new calendar has been introduced which dates from the year of his birth, making this year 48. – You know they have a word for this kind of stuff……ah yes, CULT!
- What drugs? It’s my religion! – The Shoops were charged with drug trafficking in December 2006 after authorities found about 28 marijuana plants growing in their backyard, according to Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Neil Holcombe. In April, Wilters found that the couple had violated their probation when they failed drug tests, and he sent them back to the county’s jail without bail. A trial is expected this fall. The Shoops argued that since their arrest they have started a ministry in their Robertsdale home and serve as missionaries for Universal Orthodox Church, which is based in Atlanta. The Christian denomination believes marijuana has biblical origins and was a key ingredient in holy anointing oil of Moses and the christening oil of Jesus Christ, according to testimony and court documents.- Needless to say they were shot dead in the water, although I don’t doubt that marijuana did have a role to play in the writing of the Bible.
I’m gonna stop here. I had too many items bookmarked for just one entry. Maybe I’ll do an additional one this week. Thanks.
Satanic atheist creatures of the night have no morals and cannot be trusted. They break into Christian homes at night. They perform abortions on unwilling pregnant mothers and then eat the aborted babies.
They regularly burn down churches, rape the retarded, rob the elderly, murder the suicidal, torture the crippled, kidnap the poor, lie, cheat and do drugs. And when they run out of dead babies to eat, they turn on each other for sustenance.
Some of the most evil people in the history of the world were devout atheists: Adolph Hitler, Joey Stalin, Napoleon Bonaparte, Charles Darwin, Benjamin Franklin, Helen Keller, Ghandi, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein, John Lennon – need I go on?
they commit the most evil act of all by continually pestering My Followers with logic-based questions. Why must they do this?!
You should read for yourself. This entry is simply priceless.
An Australian teenager, wearing a T-shirt with the writing “Jesus is a c**t” , and depicting a nun masturbating, has been charged with offensive behavior under the Summary Offenses Act 2005 for public nuisance. What is it about religion, that makes otherwise democratic societies, such as Australia, censor the most basic human right, freedom of speech? What is it about otherwise democratic societies, that makes them try to legalize morality and political correctness, a very anti-democratic endeavor? I don’t know, I just don’t get it!
Sen-Sgt Arron Ottaway defended charging the teen.
“I’m not religious but that’s just offensive,” Sen-Sgt Ottaway said.
Offensive? A writing on a T-shirt is offensive. So what? Is that reason enough to enact a law about it? What writing in any T-shirt is not offensive to someone? Why the special treatment for religion? Why is it above every other thing? Are Australian police going to do the same for someone wearing a T-shirt proclaiming Jesus as our lord and savior? Probably not, nor should they. Freedom of speech is more important than anyone’s feelings, even my own. Furthermore, and this may come as a surprise to some, NUNS ARE HUMAN AND NOT ABOVE THE “SIN” OF MASTURBATION. The only difference is that they probably feel really, really bad…after feeling really, really good!
Police conducted inquiries at Australia Fair shopping centre, where the teen said he bought the shirt, to find any shops selling it.
Am I the only one who is reminded of Nazi Germany or Communist Russia by such behaviors? Have they nothing else to occupy the police with in Australia, than trying to find out which store is selling which “offensive” T-shirts? This is laughable. This is absolutely ridiculous. I was not aware that Australia was a theocracy!
Gold Coast lawyer Bill Potts told website goldcoast.com.au that the arrest highlighted Australia’s need for a Bill of Rights.
“One of the great problems with our country is that we talk about rights such as privacy and freedom of speech and the like but they are not enshrined or protected in any way as they are in America,” Mr Potts said.
“While there are always limits on freedom of speech, you can’t incite violence or anything like that, it seems to be now more than ever that our rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression should be protected.
“A Bill of Rights which enshrines that protection is long overdue in this country.”
Amen to that!