It turns out the current coach of the French team competing in Euro 2008 is an ardent believer in astrology, so much so that he uses it to pick the players for the French national team.
he France coach is the ever-controversial Raymond Domenech. He loves the theater. He loves astrology. He has said, publicly, that he won’t put Scorpios on the team (sorry, Robert Pires!), and that Leos make bad defenders.
Unfortunately for him, astrology seems to have failed him in this respect. France are up to a lousy start, they tied 0-0 with Romania, got their behind whipped 4-1 by Spain and are playing it all in the last game against Italy today. They’ve scored just one goal and allowed 4. I think he needs to load up on those Leo defenders. They’re on the brink of being eliminated, even though they still have a chance if they win today. Just another experiment that shows how ridiculous astrology is.
***IMPORTANT UPDATE-The French just lost 2-0 to Italy and were eliminated (last in their group) despite their astrology guided coach. Astrology is bullshit!
- 100-year-old yeti scalp at a remote monastery in the Himalayas-Why is it that people have such a fascination with remote monasteries and monks as such? Why is it that we are willing to believe that these guys hold some really deep secrets? It’s too bad that photography is not allowed by the monks, so all we have is a sketch based on “eye witness” accounts. Sorry but a sketch doesn’t quite cut it. So yet again we are left with somebody’s word. Just somebody’s word. No tangible evidence whatsoever.
- A step forward for Turkey – The Constitutional Court said that a vote by parliament to ease a ban on scarves being worn on campuses violated the constitution’s secular principles. I couldn’t agree with it more!
- Cat turns into a woman after being struck by motorcycle-The incredible thing is that the Nigerian Tribune is reporting this so credulously as a fact. “WHAT could be described as a fairy tale turned real on Wednesday in Port Harcourt, Rivers State,” it reports. 3 cats were crossing the street when they were hit by a motorcycle. At this time one of them turned into a woman, one escaped and the other was beaten to death by a mob (and this one did not shape shift! Hmmm, curious fact!), which also wanted to kill the woman. Fuck, you get run by a motorcycle and bystanders try to kill you. Talk about bad luck!
- Autism linked to preterm birth and low birth weight – and still unrelated to vaccines! But who cares, vaccines are an easier villain to blame than low birth weight.
- Ousted Nepal king needs a house and an astrologer’s help-the king has been ousted by assembly so he has engaged astrologers to tell him when to leave the palace. I have an idea: How about within 2 weeks which is just how much time he has been given to vacate the premises?
- Vatican Bars Female priests– 2,000 years later you’re still not as good as men in the eyes of the Vatican ladies, sorry! Now why would any self respecting woman, still respect Christianity and the Vatican beats me. I guess there are lots of women that have no respect for themselves around.
- 34 convicted for demonstration at the US Supreme Court – I am divided on this one. On, the one hand you have the Constitution and freedom of speech. On the other hand you have laws, which theoretically are based on the constitution. Tough one, but at the end of the day, if a cop tells you to do something, you do it. Period, people, period! If you want to challenge a law, get yourself a good lawyer and do it the right way, don’t go around disobeying cops orders, else you get in trouble. Period! On the other hand we have the constitutional right to freedom of speech and peaceful assembly, and the constitution should be held higher than any other law. Period! See, I told you I’m divided on this one. God that was a lot of periods!
- Monkey God named school chairman – A position which comes with its own office, desk and laptop. The school, which opened last year, awards bachelor’s degrees in engineering and management. Am I the only one who sees something hilariously wrong with a diploma signed by a Monkey God?
- Death sentence for apostasy in Saudi Arabia – These are the same people we’re so cozy with for their oil. Who cares about human rights, if there’s money to be made right?
- Blind student killed by teacher for not learning the Quran – More from the “peaceful” religion. Muhammad Atif was hung upside down from a ceiling fan and severely beaten by his teacher, Qari Ziauddin, at the seminary or madrassa in Vihari, near Lahore on Thursday, they said. At least there are some good news on this front, the teacher had been arrested on charges of torturing and murdering the boy.
- Al Qaida …discriminates women – and the women are furious about it. They are really upset and, get this, “are fighting or pleading for the right to be terrorists”. They’re not fighting for any of the basic human rights they lack, they’re not even asking to be treated a little better than animals. They don’t want to be treated as humans. But they really, really want to be terrorists. I think, with this level of stupidity, they actually deserve everything they get.
- Atheist caught having sex…in confession box – Authorities were alerted after a parishoner heard “rustling and groaning” coming from inside the confession box and pulled back the curtains to reveal a goth-rock couple engaged in oral sex, ANSA said. The agency said the pair — a 31-year-old laborer and a 32-year-old teacher — defended their conduct saying: “We are atheists and for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place.” – Ok first of all, I don’t know any goths who are atheists, because they tend to like Satan. Second, if they were indeed atheists, and even though we need to increase our ranks with little atheists, have a little decency people. Public places are not good choices for sexual activities.
- Astrologers to pick US presidential race winner – Given their accuracy track record, they’ll probably go for Rudy Giuliani. Wow, this astrology stuff is quite potent. Not only can it tell you what you will do, but also pretty much what every other American will do, since winning the presidential election depends as much on the voters as the candidates themselves. Pretty fucking mind blowing potent if you ask me!
- Euthanasia, the ultimate ignored human right – Only Oregon has legalized euthanasia so far in the US. One man is trying to make Washington go Oregon’s way. Let’s all hope he succeeds, for the sake of human rights and human dignity.
- 12 year old boy beheads man on video – peaceful religion my ass. Such outcomes are the reason why religion should be wiped out, regardless of all the supposed good things it does for us, such as give us false hope through lies, lies and more lies. I’ll take the cruel reality thank you very much.
- Self appointed prophet wanted to bed 7 virgins – Is anyone really surprised?
- Female genital mutilation legal again in Egypt – No doubt everyone who voted in favor had hardware dangling in between his legs….and nothing dangling inside their head….complete void and emptiness.
- Dutch cartoonist arrested for drawing cartoons offensive to Islam – really dutch folk need to get their shit together. I was always looking at that part of the world as the example of some of the best democracies around. This kind of censorship makes you think twice. Have these people never heard of freedom of speech?
- The Shroud of Turin to be tested…yet again – it’s fake folks! It doesn’t matter how many times you test it, it will come back as a medieval fake. And what’s the rationale for this retest? Oh, it must have been contaminated by a yet unknown process which moved the carbon dating about 1,000 years ahead. It’s kind of pointless anyway, even if they show that it does in fact date back to the times of Jesus. How does that prove it’s authenticity anyway? It would simply mean that it was produced 2,000 years ago, not that it is authentic. What a waste of time and money!
- Oregon court upholds gay marriage ban – Ok, we can’t expect Oregon to have all the good laws can we? They’re ok on the euthanasia front, and running with the pack on the gay marriage front. Still better than most other states, with the exception of California may be, I say!
The Telegraph reports an a comprehensive study on astrology which appears to have proved what most level headed people already knew: Astrology is bullshit! According to the Telegraph article:
Its central claim – that our human characteristics are moulded by the influence of the Sun, Moon and planets at the time of our birth – appears to have been debunked once and for all and beyond doubt by the most thorough scientific study ever made into it.
For several decades, researchers tracked more than 2,000 people – most of them born within minutes of each other. According to astrology, the subject should have had very similar traits.
Researchers looked at more than 100 different characteristics, including occupation, anxiety levels, marital status, aggressiveness, sociability, IQ levels and ability in art, sport, mathematics and reading – all of which astrologers claim can be gauged from birth charts.
The scientists failed to find any evidence of similarities between the “time twins”, however. They reported in the current issue of the Journal of Consciousness Studies: “The test conditions could hardly have been more conducive to success . . . but the results are uniformly negative.”
The findings caused alarm and anger in astrological circles yesterday. Roy Gillett, the president of the Astrological Association of Great Britain, said the study’s findings should be treated “with extreme caution” and accused Dr Dean of seeking to “discredit astrology”.
The time-twins study is only the start of the bad news for astrologers, however. Dr Dean and Prof Kelly also sought to determine whether stargazers could match a birth chart to the personality profile of a person among a random selection.
They reviewed the evidence from more than 40 studies involving over 700 astrologers, but found the results turned out no better than guesswork.
The success rate did not improve even when astrologers were given all the information they asked for and were confident they had made the right choice.
This is good news, but don’t expect it to change anybody’s mind. Anyone who believes in such bullshit, is already ideologically predisposed to reject any contradictory evidence. In fact you must be a person who rejects science and logic to begin with, if you are to entertain such thoughts. So just like the religious, UFO proponents, homeopath believers and countless other moronic herds, this bit of science will do nothing but reinforce their already over acting imagination and conspiracy theories.