But of course it isn’t. Both Christianity and Islam are violent religions, if you stick to their holy books. One need only read through these books to see that. Take a look here for the violence in the Quran. Here’s a recap of some of my favorites (I am looking at a translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali other translations may vary):
- If you believe only part of the holy book you will be “consigned to the most grievious penalty” 2:85 (Therefore according to the Quran any real muslim must believe every single word in it or perish)
- Kill unbelievers wherever you catch them. 2:191
- A great reward is promised to those who fight in the cause of Allah (presumably by killing any unbelievers they catch) 4:74
- Unbelievers are the friends of Satan, and you must fight them. 4:76
- Don’t be friends with unbelievers. Instead slay them. 4:89
- Cut off the hands of thieves 5:38
I could go on and on. The Bible is not free of such violence and intolerance either. But that’s not the point of this entry. The point is that, at least as far as the two most prominent world religions are concerned, they are not peaceful in nature. Their gods are vengeful ones. They are intolerant bullies. If we are to take the holy books literally these are two bloody violent religions, there’s not doubt about it. The only way you can turn them non-violent is if you agree that not everything in the holy books is true or meant to be interpreted literally, even though I don’t really think that “go kill unbelievers” can be interpreted for anything else besided what is explicitly says.
Therefore, Dalai Lama, you are wrong. It is not “totally wrong, unfair” to say that Islam is a violent religion. It is the reality today. Christianity for the most part has been able to shed or ignore it’s violent passages. Islam has not reached that stage yet. Both holy books incite intolerance and killing, maiming and all kinds of atrocities. It is the believers who decide which parts to follow and which to ignore and as of right now, some of the biggest attrocities are being commited by muslims, fueled by their religious belief.
That is not to say that Muslims inevitably must turn violent. I don’t even think that the majority of Muslims are of the violent type. But that is their personal choice. There is nothing peaceful about the religion itself. Those people are more evolved in my eyes than the violent ones. They’re more humane, more modern. They choose to ignore the violence in their religion. They choose to throw out the nasty and keep the nice. As such they have deliberately changed the religion of Islam into something else. But the religion itself is pretty nasty, just the same as the Christian religion is pretty nasty.
I like to think of modern day Nazis. It is possible for modern day nazis to still believe in the superiority of the Arian race and such, but to be against physial violence against other races. Does that mean that Nazism is/was not violent? Or does it mean that the modern day followers that I am speaking of have transformed a violent thing into a less violent one? In what sense is a philosphy which asks its followers to kill, kill and kill some more not violent?
A philosophy is either violent or it isn’t. One that asks for blood of any oposing views is undeniably violent. Of course it is up to its followers to decide if they should follow the dictates of their philosophy or not. The people are violent or peaceful. They have a choice. The philosophy doesn’t. It is unfair to call muslims violent people. That is indeed not true. It is not unfair to call Islam, or Christianity, a violent religion. It is dishonest to try and be politically correct by calling a rabid dog docile. Don’t you think?
Yesterday I posted a video at my other blog, Video Skepdude which attracted an angry reply, which in turn made it necessary that I post my own reply. Here is the original angry reply by an offended muslim reader
truefaith, on June 29th, 2008 at 12:19 am Said:
you actually are the most stupid man,,you judge the religion by the people, the peaceful is the religion not the people,,you are such a fucking atheist that dont have any faith(same as animal) or even a religious man that has extreme envious in islam..!!!
To which I replied:
Yes I judge things by the actions of it’s representatives. If you had really read my comments carefully, I said that Islam can indeed become a peaceful religion, but it’s not there yet. Take a look at most countries where Islam meddles with the state. How do those countries fare when it come to human rights? How can a religion whose prophet had sex with a 9 year old be peaceful, if it does not condemn such behavior? I belive Turkey is one of the few countries where Islam has advanced in the right direction.
Don’t forget all religions incite violence. The Bible and the Quran are full of violent passages. As such there is no peaceful religion. The only difference is that some religions advance to a point where they know they must ignore certain passages. Unfortunately Islam is not there yet. It may be quite close if there are people like you who think it is not violent, but it is not there yet.So you are wrong when you say that religion is peaceful and people are violent. People are the only ones who are violente OR peaceful. Religion is a source of violence!
Now instead of being mad at me for calling it as I see it, you should be mad at the people that make your faith look so bad. Those are the ones you should fight, not literally, not me. I am sorry but with all the terrorist acts, the beheadings, the bombings, the genital mutilations, the inhumane treatment of women, there is but one conclusion to be reached. Islam is still a middle age religion. It is violent. It is contrary to any human instinct of justice and fairness.
You are correct when you say that I have no faith. I don’t need it. I believe in myself, the human race. I have no need for Sky Daddy, especially not one that condones the raping of little girls, by grown ass men. Those are the men that should be hanged, if you ask me.
And by the way no person on Earth is envious of, or in, Islam. You betray the limits of your own intelligence when you make such a statement.
I would like to hear from people. What do you think? Is there such thing as a peaceful religion? I would appreciate it if you limit your comments to Islam and Christianity. Thanks.
- Dad kills son to get demons out – 27-year-old grocery store worker who police say punched and kicked his 2-year-old son to death on a country road calmly told motorists who stopped at the scene that he had to “get the demons” out of the boy, two witnesses said Monday. The boy was beaten so savagely that DNA tests will be needed to confirm his identity, Singh said.- I say give him the chair.
- FDA cracks down on quack cancer treatments – The is cracking down on teas, supplements, creams and other products that falsely claim to cure, treat or prevent cancer even though they are not agency-approved drugs. All are available for sale on the Internet. The ingredients of these unproven treatments include bloodroot, , coral calcium, cesium, ellagic acid, and a variety of mushrooms among other products.- Where do you start if you’re the FDA? WHERE DO YOU START?
- Rapture site to send unbeliever’s last chance vie e-mail – YouveBeenLeftBehind.com promises subscribers “one last opportunity to reach your lost family and friends for Christ” by automatically sending them a series of emails and documents if the rapture should occur. For an annual fee of $40 (£20), customers are offered the chance to send these messages to their loved ones to convince them to believe in God. – If rapture were to happen, do these morons think I’ll be in front of my computer checking my e-mail?
- A psychic, teaching assistant and school board walk into a bar – sounds like the beginning of a bad joke right? Well the story goes like this. Teaching assistant goes to psychic. Phsychic says girl whose name starts with “V” is being sexually abused. Teacher assistant sounds the alarm. School and appropriate authorities get involved. Mother gets the scare of her life – All because a second rate charlatan blurted something with no evidence whatsoever. Shame, shame shame!
- Cult mother tortures own sons – Six people in the Czech Republic, including the boy’s mother, face between eight to 12 years in prison for allegedly torturing Ondrej and Jakub, now aged 8 and 10. The defendants were allegedly beating the brothers, locking them up in cages or even cutting them and burning them with cigarettes. It is alleged pieces of their flesh were hacked off to be eaten by their relatives.-Sick, demented fucks
- Praying claims yet another victim – Oregon officials say a teenager from a faith-healing family died from an illness that could have been easily treated, just a few months after a toddler cousin of his died in a case that has led to criminal charges. Oregon law allows minors 14 and older to decide whether to accept medical treatment. Beagley’s family says he refused it. – Oh his sick family says he refused it. I guess we have to believe them, don’t we? Throw their sick, demented asses in jail and let them rot. Stupid, arrogant dickheads!
- Large Hadron Collider no threat to humanity – That black hole that was going to eat the Earth? Forget about it, and keep making the mortgage payments — those of you who still have them. – Oh shit, let me call my banker, I’m in trouble! Wait a minute, I don’t own a house! Well of course it’s not the end of the Earth. Don’t those morons know that’s not going to happen until 2012? Stupid!
- South Carolina’s own “I Believe” plates – A group that advocates separation of church and state filed a federal lawsuit Thursday to prevent South Carolina from becoming the first state to create “I Believe” license plates. The group contends that South Carolina’s government is endorsing Christianity by allowing the plates, which would include a cross superimposed on a stained glass window. – It is important to note that a couple of pastors are the ones behind the lawsuit, not some enraged, immoral atheist. I actually don’t have such a problem with this thing. I do not see it as state endorsing religion, as long as whoever wants the plate pays the full cost of producing it. I think anyone has the right to display their religious belief in their cars.
- Settling a debt with a daughter – An Afghani opium farmer, affected by a recent ban on opium farming, has resorted to handing over his 6 year old daughter as a bride to his creditor’s son, in order to settle his debt. – I don’t want to hear excuses, he’s an ass and deserves to be humiliated in the deepest way possible. I don’t care how poor you are, you are never justified in giving away your child to settle a debt. Never! You steal if you have to, but you don’t touch your kid! Fucking asshole!
- Baby girls deaths increase considerably in India -A report by the UK charity says increasing numbers of female foetuses were being aborted and baby girls deliberately neglected and left to die. In one site in the Punjab state, there are just 300 girls to every 1,000 boys among higher caste families, it says.- Besides the moral issues at stake here, I wonder who are the other 700 boys going to marry, once they grow up? Baffling indeed!
- Religious Americans surprisingly open minded – 70 percent of Americans with a religious affiliation shared that view, and 68 percent said there is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of their own religion. – Hey that’s good news for everybody. You know what they say, the first step is to recognize you’ve got a problem. But I don’t know what the article means by this “The findings, revealed Monday in a survey of 35,000 adults, can either be taken as a positive sign of growing religious tolerance, or disturbing evidence that Americans dismiss or don’t know fundamental teachings of their own faiths.”-Why would that be disturbing? It does not disturb me at all. In fact I know for sure most religious people do not know, or choose not to follow, the teachings of their religion. Also reported at NYTimes.
- Jesus has come back…as a traffic cop! – He is known simply as Vissarion, meaning “he who gives new life,” or simply as the teacher, and he claims that he is Jesus Christ. The Church of the Last Testament has abolished Christmas and replaced it with a new celebration on Vissarion’s birthday. And a new calendar has been introduced which dates from the year of his birth, making this year 48. – You know they have a word for this kind of stuff……ah yes, CULT!
- What drugs? It’s my religion! – The Shoops were charged with drug trafficking in December 2006 after authorities found about 28 marijuana plants growing in their backyard, according to Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Neil Holcombe. In April, Wilters found that the couple had violated their probation when they failed drug tests, and he sent them back to the county’s jail without bail. A trial is expected this fall. The Shoops argued that since their arrest they have started a ministry in their Robertsdale home and serve as missionaries for Universal Orthodox Church, which is based in Atlanta. The Christian denomination believes marijuana has biblical origins and was a key ingredient in holy anointing oil of Moses and the christening oil of Jesus Christ, according to testimony and court documents.- Needless to say they were shot dead in the water, although I don’t doubt that marijuana did have a role to play in the writing of the Bible.
I’m gonna stop here. I had too many items bookmarked for just one entry. Maybe I’ll do an additional one this week. Thanks.
- State to regulate religious beliefs – In Indonesia that is. The president, who is up for reelection, signed a decree ordering members of a minority Muslim sect to stop practicing their form of Islam or face arrest. “Although the wording of the decree did not explicitly ban the group, it warned Ahmadiyah members that they were no longer free to practice their beliefs and strongly encouraged them to “return to mainstream Islam,” according to Bonaventura Nainggolan, a spokesman for the Indonesian attorney general.” The funny thing is that freedom of worship is part of their constitution. Hm, we are allowed freedom of worship under our own constitution too. Creepy!
- Muslim student receives apology for church graduation – A Muslim student who sued because his public high school graduation ceremony was held in a Baptist church has received an apology from Newark’s school district and assurances that it will not hold future events in houses of worship.-That’s nice and everything, but how many of us think that an atheist student would have received the same treatment! None, eh?
- Over half of Yemeni brides under 15 – Over half of women who marry in Yemen are under 15 years of age, said a field study conducted by Yemen’s Women and Development Study Centre, which is affiliated with the University of Sanaa. On top of that, in rural parts of Yemen, girls usually get married at an average age of 12 to 13 years old.- Now what the fuck are these people smoking over there? This is pretty seriously messed up shit and the term child abuse doesn’t do it justice. This is a tragedy!
- Same sex marriage? How about no marriage – Ann Barnett plans to stop performing ceremonies for all couples in Kern County as of June 14. Barnett’s announcement came after she received advice from county lawyers that she could not refuse to marry only couples of her choosing. – Oh, I see, she wanted to discriminate just some people, but the law wouldn’t allow her so she decided to discriminate everybody. I think Ann Barnett should move to Yemen, given her “moral” beliefs!
- Egypt bans female circumcision -Egyptian parliament on Saturday approved a law to ban female circumcision except in cases of “medical necessity,” according to an amendment of a bill on children’s rights. – We can’t praise such action enough. Two thumbs up to Egypt for taking a step in the right direction. Congratulations! There is still hope in this world after all.
- Imagine no religion…in Denver – The Freedom from religion foundation (of which I am a proud member) continues to make news with it’s “Imagine no Religion” billboards campaign, this time in Denver. At least I know my membership money is being spent wisely. Keep it up FFRF!
- Friday the 13th safer than “regular” Fridays – Dutch statisticians have established that Friday 13th, a date regarded in many countries as inauspicious, is actually safer than an average Friday. “I find it hard to believe that it is because people are preventatively more careful or just stay home, but statistically speaking, driving is a little bit safer on Friday 13th,” CVS statistician Alex Hoen told the Verzekerd insurance magazine. – Well, I’m glad that is settled!
- 3 genital mutilation victims can stay in US says NY court – A court ordered the U.S. government on Wednesday to reconsider the asylum requests of three women who suffered genital mutilation in Guinea, saying it was “deeply disturbed” their claims were not taken more seriously. – I mean who the hell is reviewing such cases? How can people ignore such circumstances? Female genital mutilation is crime against nature and we should do whatever we can to help the victims, not act as if their pain and suffering is made up. Thank goodness the courts have some common sense in them!
- Couple charged in Norway for mutilating daughters – Police in have arrested a Gambian-born man and charged him and his wife with subjecting five of their six daughters to genital mutilation, officials said on Friday.The youngest of the five mutilated girls, all born in Norway, is five years old, police officials said. The others are aged seven, 10, 13 and 14 and live in Gambia, national broadcaster NRK reported. Their youngest, age three, has not been subjected to the procedure, NRK said. – I can comprehend how a parent can willingly subject their child, their own flesh and blood, to such merciless, cruel procedures, all in the name of some fucked up morality code. These people are not parents, they’re monsters.
- Widow throws party to bribe her way into heaven – A rich 80-year-old Indian widow has spent thousands of dollars on a feast for 100,000 people in the hope it would please the gods and open the doors of heaven for her, local officials said.People from surrounding villages and towns were fed lunch over two consecutive days by Phuljharia Kunwar, who spent $37,500 on the feast. – At least something good came out of this woman’s stupidity. Lots and lots of people got fed for two days.
- 74% of Congressional Republicans disbelieve in global warming – As if we needed another reason not to vote Republican!
- Christian group asks California appeals court to temporarily prohibit gay marriages – Oh yeah, that makes sense. Let’s “temporarily” suspend laws we don’t like, until we hope the time comes that they are repealed. Then why the hell is there a law in the books if it can be temporarily suspended? I suggest another group can ask the California appeals court to temporarily suspend the law that gives people the right to ask for a law to be temporarily suspended. How’s that for a catch 21?
BBC News reports that:
Single workers at one of Iran’s major state-owned companies have been told to marry by September or face being fired, Iranian newspapers have reported.
Being married is a job requirement, a directive from the company is reported as saying.
Soon enough their crazy ass president is going to proclaim that “Iran has no unmarried young men” just like he claimed in regards to gays when he gave a talk at Columbia a few months back. This sort of stuff makes you be glad that we live in the country we live in. I mean, it’s not perfect, but hell at least our State is not forcing us to choose between our jobs and our celibate lives.
As if the state meddling with such personal affairs wasn’t bad enough listen to the reason behind such action.
Correspondents say the ruling appears to be an attempt to reduce the number of prostitutes working in the area.
Being married reduces prostitution? What planet do these guys live in? Did they not pay attention to the Elliot Spitzer scandal? Plus they don’t even make that claim. They are trying to reduce the number of prostitutes in the area. I don’t really see how that’s going to happens, especially since that profession does not require its employees to be married.
Its directive, according to the Etemad newspaper, says that despite requests “some of our colleagues did not fulfil their commitments and are still single”.
It continues: “As being married is one of the criteria of employment, we are announcing for the last time that all the female and male colleagues have until September 21 to go ahead with this important and moral religious duty.”
Wow, your employer and your government double teaming to force you to comply with your religious duties. Talk about need for separation of mosque and state. These guys don’t even know what that means. Ah, the self righteous, so dangerous and vicious when in power.